Monday, September 15, 2008

Teaching :)

Finally the teaching is beginning! The students have finally begun to settle down and in perfect timing for me to start my lessons. My lessons last week went very good. I was able to get through them without many disruptions. During comprehension class I was able to take the style that my teachers uses but make it my own. She has told me that she knows the teaching styles in America are much different than the lecture and note taking done here. So she encouraged me to add in my own style. So to activate schema and prior knowledge the children did a little activity. They loved it and listened to directions wonderfully! That really made me feel more comfortable. During my dictionary lesson, the students had to get out a few giggles; which I totally understood. I am an accent and they were trying to say the words exactly how I say them, which seems impossible for all Ghanaians :) It was very cute. I assured them no matter how they 'say' the word, the meaning and spelling will be the same! Having lessons to create at night and over the weekend keep me busy too. It feels nice to actually be doing something productive for the classroom. I am looking forward to having success with my lessons this week as well!

Each week after school on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday the students have different activites they can participate in. Tuesday is called "Talent Hunt", Wednesday is "Activities" and Friday is "Sports." This gives each child an opportunity to find a hobby and learn something new. I have decided to spend my time in the Salsa Dance class for Talent Hunt and Basket Weaving for Activity. Get your dancing shoes on......when I get back I will share my dancing skills with all of you :)

This weekend Walt and I went with some teachers to a funeral for a father of a student who passed away. The funeral was so different than those at home. The mass seemed more of a celcbration of life with the loud Ghanaian music and dancing than that of a mourning ceremony. After the mass everyone goes to the home of the deceased. There they eat a light meal, have some drinks, listen to music and dance. This is a time for all family and friends to come together and share in this time. Funerals as also held 1-3 months after a person has passes away. This is so that the family can ensure that everyone who wants to attend can plan around it and make the arrangements to attend. It was so different, but I had a great time learning about a Ghanaian tradition.

Everything at home is going well too. Auntie continues to spoil us and serves us new food each day. I have definitely learned to be thankful and appreciate everything I have and am given at home. We have not had running water for about 5 days now. The water we take for granted when brushing our teeth and taking a HOT shower is something I will be thankful for when I go home. I am learning that no matter what 'goes wrong' there is something I can do to make the situation better. The small bumps that I have learned to deal with here in Ghana, is something that will make me a more appreciative American! Really a lesson we should all go there.

Im continuing to love Africa and am so happy about my decision to come here. I feel like I am growing more as a person and becoming more confident than I ever thought I would from this experience. It's continuing to be great :)
Have a great week.
Miss you all.
Andie

No comments: