Wednesday, October 8, 2008

OCTOBER!!

It is October!! I can not believe that means in a little over a week we will be headed home. I am ready to get back to my family and friends, American schools and the COOL weather.....but I really will miss the students and teachers at Christ the King and my new African family :) How I have grown to love each and every member of the family.

This weekend Walt and I traveled to Hohoe and in the Volta Region. It is a small, quiet town but has amazing two amazing waterfalls (Wli Waterfalls). We had to hike to get to them. The smaller one was about 40 meters tall and was about a 45 minutes hike; while the larger one being about 600 meters tall and taking about 3 hours to get to. I am not a nature kind of girl, but I soon learned how to be one. Making my way through a jungle, in 90 degree weather, with a walking stick while trying to avoid 'fighter' ants which bite you...it was quite a sight! The falls were truly breathtaking. They were so large that even trying to get close enough to take a picture you got so wet. They have a small pool at the bottom of the falls where tourists can go swimming; if only we brought our suits :( I can't wait to show off the pictures. Definitely a sight worth seeing!

Teaching this week is well. I started the week off by talking to my students about respect, manners and classroom rules. We talked a lot about being quiet when the teachers are teaching, treating your classmates how you want to be treated and taking care of the classroom. I have a feeling they are getting it! My lessons have really been going fast, mostly due to their participation and interest in listening and not chatting. I love it :) We have been using our transition time to play spelling review games which the students absolutely love. They call them Miss Andrea's American Games....its cute!

I learned about being real flexible as a teacher today. I had what I thought was an awesome lesson planned. The children were going to be creating art work while learning the comprehension strategy of mental images. But about 10 minutes before my time to teach my teacher came up to me and said that the students had to take a 'Monthly Comprehension Exam.' I guess each month they take a test and the results get posted for the parents to see how the students at CTK are doing. So I had to quickly find a story for them to read and create questions for them to answer...all in less than 10 minutes. It really was a test for me of how flexible I am and how to think on your toes. Really a daily lesson I am learning here in Ghana. It all turned out well; and hopefully I will get to teach my lesson Friday or Monday.

This weekend Walt and I will be taking a short cruise to the Dobi Island. It is in the largest lake in Ghana. Being our last weekend we will see Auntie's village one last time and hurry home to play futball with our 'brothers' on Sunday on last time :(

Hope all is well with everyone at home!
See you all in a week :)
miss you.
Andie

No comments: